Tuesday, 23 August 2016

I Dreamed A Dream


“I had the strangest dream, and you were in it, and you and so were you.” So said Dorothy Gale.
This morning I know what she was talking about.
Last night’s episode of what went on in Ky’s head was a doozy.

I was at a wedding venue, attending a bride I had not seen in 20 years. She was marrying an old school friend who I also haven’t seen in decades. Why would I believe this and not simply wake up then with the “what the?” face and go back to sleep.
Simple really, the bridesmaid’s dresses were hideous thereby tricking my brain into thinking this was all for real.

The vista was interesting, a building filled with glass and natural light stood perched on top of the crest of a hill. The outlook, spectacular, green fields burnished almost yellow in the sunlight and blue sky as far as the eye could see. Although the building seemed squat and possibly double storied the elevator went up 14 floors. The furnishings and appointments of this squat but spacious wedding venue were all sparkling gold, marble floors, opulence to make you vomit. Think Versace in decorating overdrive.

Coming out on this fourteenth floor revealed sunlight puddling around a gigantic bath shaped like shell. Huge windows overlooked the bathing area, in fact the entire room was made of glass. In the water floated rose petals and candles, and the unfortunate bride, face down and encumbered by a veil that could easily have done double duty as the hall runner in St Paul’s Cathedral, London. 

It was around that time that I panicked. I knew that downstairs the congregation awaited the entrance of this bride. That her groom was there. That’s I was going to have to go down and tell them all what had happened.

So down I went, dreading those mirrored elevator doors opening.

The congregation was set, all sitting up in their chairs waiting. I scanned the room. All of the senior figures from my own place of work were there. My boss was there, juggling flaming balls and placating the increasingly restless crowd. And in the middle of all of this my youngest child was entertaining himself with a pool of dolphins doing tricks that no one else observed.

I backed away, back into that elevator and started slamming the up button. Where I expected to get off I didn’t know, what difference between the drowning bride or the crowd who would soon be baying for blood?
The elevator shot up and at a breath taking speed. The floor counter ticking over with rapidity, until the words ORBIT were printed on the screen as we burst through the top of the building and sailed out over the crest off that hill.

Everything went black and then suddenly I found myself sitting in a heap of vile lavender bridesmaid dress staring down at a scene from my childhood. The paddock at the back of my mother’s house was there in front of me, a bonfire being built and people tossing a ball around, all people I’ve known over the past twenty years. I felt this overwhelming sense of peace and tranquillity. And I smiled.
And woke up thinking “What the actual fuck was that?”

Husband Number 2 theorised that it was my fears of the coming work schedule that created the dream. And to an extent he may be right.
My well-loved, well respected, highly organised manager has left his job and I can only wonder with growing terror who might replace him.
For the last two and a half years I’ve worked as the chef’s assistant / concierge / jack of all trades at a children’s camp. And I must say I love my job, I thrive on it.

The boss however is unorganized, makes snap judgement s, basically comes in and fucks up everything. If the boss were to come down and try to manage whilst he found a replacement it would be the clusterfuck to end all clusterfucks. He’s micromanaging every last detail and managing to manage nothing with any positive outcome.


 This worries me, as I am given to thinking that perhaps it’s time get off a sinking ship and I can see the relativity of the dream in that context..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line.